Practical coaching skills when working with students - a two-hour online training event
Helping a student to rely on their own resources to solve a problem or address an issue is better than if we solve it on their behalf. This 2-hour online session explores ways in which we can help empower students to do things for themselves and develop this important life skill.
Time and location
6 March 2024, 14:00–16:00 GMT
Online - Microsoft Teams: £66 incl. VAT
About this event
About this event
We know, from our own experience, that it is more empowering if we can do things for ourselves. We also instinctively know that it is better, when we are working with a student, if we can help that student to rely on their own resources to solve a particular problem or address a particular issue, rather than us just swooping in and solving things for the student. This practical 2-hour online session will explore ways in which we can help students do things for themselves and rely less on us and more on themselves – a really important life skill.
Who is this session for?
This session is relevant to teams and cohorts who work with students in higher education and who might find themselves providing a student with support.
- Academics – such as personal tutors, module leaders, and lecturers
- Professional services practitioners – such as disability advisers, welfare advisers, finance advisers, or international student advisers
- Colleagues working in a university enquiry service, a faculty or service front desk team, or a university helpdesk
- Accommodation staff
- Colleagues managing student conduct cases
- Managers of student-facing teams who may need to support their team members in interactions with students
- Students' union advisers
While this training is aimed at higher education, colleagues in further education, colleagues delivering private tuition or colleagues working in other educational settings will also find the content very relevant.
During this event, participants will:
- Explore what coaching is, how it differs from other types of work we might do to support a student, and why a coaching style can be so effective
- Understand some practical coaching skills, including the use of the GROW coaching model, framing effective coaching questions, and other ways to help students to draw on their inner resources
- Use a couple of case studies to reflect on what coaching looks like in practice
Single delegate - £55 + VAT (£66 incl. VAT)
Early bird discount (15%) available for bookings made by 9th February 2024 - £46.75 + VAT (£56.10 incl. VAT)
You can either pay by debit/credit card or request an invoice. To pay via invoice, click on “Pay by invoice or bank transfer” when you get to the debit/credit card details page; we will then get in touch with you to arrange an invoice.
For any colleague unable to secure funding from their HEI/employer to attend this session and unable to afford the standard cost themselves personally, we hold a couple of places at each session which we can offer at a significantly reduced cost. To find out more about how to request one of these places, subject to availability, visit www.plinthhouse.com/self-funded-reduced-tickets
(Looking for training for your whole team or cohort? Does the date of this course not work for you? Find out more about our Ready-to-run version of this course.)