Wed, 13 Mar|
Online - Microsoft Teams: £84 incl. VAT
Safeguarding for student-facing staff in higher education: a half-day, online training event
A condensed session focusing on identifying safeguarding concerns when working with students and responding appropriately, within higher education's legal and regulatory context.
Time & Location
13 Mar 2024, 13:00 – 16:30 GMT
Online - Microsoft Teams: £84 incl. VAT
About the event
Safeguarding issues can become apparent during interactions with students or someone may raise a concern about a student.
This half-day event delivers core safeguarding knowledge suitable for a range of student-facing colleagues. It clarifies who, under legislation, is perceived to be most likely to experience abuse and neglect – children and 'adults at risk' - and the signs and symptoms that indicate abuse or neglect might be taking place, including radicalisation.
Set against the legal and regulatory context in higher education and the expected reporting mechanisms within institutions and providers, delegates will learn how to spot cases that have Safeguarding implications and how to respond promptly and effectively, using a combination of expert input, group case work and Q&A time.
Who is this session for?
This session is relevant to everyone who works with students in higher education and who might:
- Receive concerns about a student who may be experiencing (or is at risk of) abuse or neglect, or,
- Receive allegations about an alleged perpetrator of abuse and neglect who is a student.
- Student Services practitioners (e.g., disability advisers, counselling and mental health practitioners, welfare advisers, chaplains or international student advisers)
- University and faculty registrars
- Academic colleagues (e.g., personal tutors, module leaders and lecturers)
- Colleagues in student journey/experience roles and helpdesk staff
- Accommodation staff
- Colleagues managing student conduct cases
- Security managers and team leaders
- Students' Union advisers
While this training is aimed at higher education, colleagues in further education or other customer-facing settings will also find the content very relevant.
Please note: This course is on a par with Level 2 safeguarding courses, when compared to the 'Level' accreditation that applies in Healthcare settings, and covers both U18s and Adults at Risk within the context of HE. We can also deliver longer courses aimed at colleagues with specific lead responsibilities for Safeguarding, such as Designated Safeguarding Officers. Contact us for more information.
By the end of this event, participants will be able to:
- Understand the overarching legal and regulatory context of Safeguarding in HE, including the role of statutory authorities and the Police
- Identify 'children' and 'adults at risk', and typical HE student-specific safeguarding scenarios
- Recognise the indictors that can point to possible safeguarding concerns and related types of abuse and neglect
- Be able to distinguish safeguarding concerns from other student-related wellbeing and/or misconduct concerns
- Respond confidently to students who have disclosed perceived abuse/neglect and/or people who have raised a concern/allegation about a student
- Appreciate consent considerations when considering next steps and the importance of good record keeping
- Know how to escalate concerns via likely internal referral routes and the possible next steps
Single delegate - £70 + VAT (£84 incl. VAT)
Early bird discount (15%) available for bookings made by 16th February 2024 - £59.50 + VAT (£71.40 incl. VAT)
You can either pay by debit/credit card or request an invoice. To pay via invoice, click on “Pay by invoice or bank transfer” when you get to the debit/credit card details page; we will then get in touch with you to arrange an invoice.
For any colleague unable to secure funding from their HEI/employer to attend this session and unable to afford the standard cost themselves personally, we hold a couple of places at each session which we can offer at a significantly reduced cost. To find out more about how to request one of these places, subject to availability, visit www.plinthhouse.com/self-funded-reduced-tickets
(Looking for training for your whole team or cohort? Does the date of this course not work for you? Find out more about our Ready-to-run version of this course.)